Wednesday, May 30, 2007

day 1

so the day starts after work at 3.30 pm, sunday afternoon. on a side note, i've been working as a wait staff for the catering service and this has resulted in me wearing a bowtie and a frilly shirt, which makes me look like a constipated penguin.

we had a bbq at alice hadler's (one of the senior profs) house in new haven. it's a very nice red house with a really great kitchen and an even nicer bench and table in the kitchen. andrew and I had to leave shortly as we were having dinner at abbott's in mystic seaport with cx and family. of which, I am really grateful for that taste of ocean brine and the springiness of fresh sweet succulent flesh of a certain clawed-sea bottom dwelling-oblong shaped creature.

the day (1+ am) followed with maniacal packing and the mumsy-like advocation of andrew to 'hurry up, pack, and you shouldn't be so last minute'. I really shouldn't be so last min. I promise not to procrastinate, next time. after sleeping for 5 hrs, it was a mad rush to get out of the dorm and to new haven to catch the 1250 train to jfk. many thanks to keithtankaixuan xiao3 pen2 you3 for the ride to new haven, and master chew kin yan for a healthy 200 calorie lunch.
the train ride was an experience. I think coming to america has made me too pampered. good thing I could start getting acquainted with mr discomfort during the train ride . it was hot. man. the aircon wasn't on and I could feel myself getting stickly moist (moistly sticky?). good thing I was wearing a quick dry shirt that prevented me from turning into a soggy potato chip.

a comfortable bus ride led us from grand central to jfk, where we checked in, spent our last remaining coins on coffee soup burgers fries and a bagel and had a quick talk on how to function happily as a group. uncle andrew, who was a naval ocifer, sat us on his lap (kidding!) and told us the story of THE ship. I wanted to stop the cleaner from clearing a perfectly uneaten breadstick from the table next to us... but I wasn't properly backpacking yet, so the situation did not call for such a measure.

the plane took more than an hour to take off. WAH LAU. kinyan and andrew would wake up and doze off and be surprised that the tarmac could still be seen. it was as if they were playing peekaboo with themselves.

plane food was good, mutton curry with ladies' fingers ( okra I think). the best part of the meal was the papad and the cardamon spiced noodle. and the gin and tonic. I nearly forgot to mention that the panel on the arm of the chair controls the light of the other person. and the amenities drawer in the bathroom contains some toothpicks and some used tissue paper, possibly containing snot. sick, eh?

I'm looking forward to landing in heathrow and getting our traveller's cheques and our hunger for dim sum and wong key settled. obviously, the jitters of the trip are present, but as I read the book on how lonely planet got started, I can't help but think of the many experiences that I will have. I look forward to watching grass sweep pass me, I look forward to sharing food with the passengers in 3rd class train carriages and I semi-look forward to the chafing the horse saddle will give me in mongolia. I really don't want to have my jewels affected (thanks ahmah for the thought, don't laugh so loudly when you read this). above all, before the real journey begins, I hope that I will be able to have a REAL experience and not some superficial plastic field trip.

-l

2 comments:

? said...

We are all together on board The Ship. Even if you want to run away : there is only The Ship. =)
-kinyan

m. said...

hahaha i'll be following you guys' real experience while enjoying my plastic field trip in south ken london :)

- manda