Wednesday, May 30, 2007

First Stop - New York (kind of)

28th May


I'm not sure if New York counts as a 'first stop' but I guess since I've got some time to spend I might as well get into the habit of writing.


As expected, I didn't pack my backpack quite right, resulting in my back aching as we waited outside Grand Central for our bus to JFK International Airport. Just minutes before, we had said our farewells to Anand, the last Wesleyan student that we'll meet until we reach China.


We're headed to JFK to catch our (cheap) flight to London on Air India. We'll be there for a day before catching another (cheap) flight to Latvia. Fortunately, Luke has an aunt in London that will take care of us for a bit, and I'm hoping to meet friends in London as well.


I know my tone sounds rather melancholy, probably due to my tiredness after attending commencement the day before and sleeping at 5 after cleaning up the house and stuffing assorted items into my backpack. My shoulders hurt and my neck is complaining...and all this before I've even left the country! Phew... what will happen to me?


Looking at the signs from the bus to JFK, I note that everything is, of course, in English. While this will (hopefully) also be the case in London, once we leave the land of Her Majesty the Queen, language will be major problem. Luke has a spanking new Russian phrasebook tucked away in hs bag and I suspect that it will be our only hope as we venture into the middle of Russia.
But first, next stop : London!

-kinyan

No comments: