Wednesday, June 6, 2007

customs 2

ky continues : Unfortunately the rules of time and space hold and we arrive at the Russian side of the border 2 minutes later. A uniformed officer gets on the bus, says something in (I assume) Russian and seems to be explaining something to the front of the bus. Then another female officer enters and seems to be in a rather cheerful mood. I have started praying... All the passengers are being called down now to the imigrations office...

Phew! Thank God. We're now back on the bus. Let me try to tell the story... We got off the bus at about 11:30p.m. (Riga time). We made sure that we were the last in line so that we could delay as long as possible towards midnight. To offset my anxiety, I amused myself by reading the English translation of the prohibited items list (it was really quite fun, especially the definition of "The Weapons") and praying silently.

~11:55pm. There is no longer anyone in line ahead of us. We drag our backpacks forward and present ourselves one by one to the immigration officer. Extensive scrutiny follows. Our passports and repeatedly examined under a UV lamp. The examination cubicle lighta are even turned off, presumably to see the UV markings better. Phone calls are made. Phone calls are answered. My suspicious Malausian passport is whisked off to the depths of an office and quickly returned. All this time we are worrying if the immigration officers will stamp "31st May" or "1st June" on our passport. Since our visas start on 1st June and are only valid for 30 days (till the 30th), it is important they are stamped 1st June so that we will be able to exit Russia on the 30th as planned. The bus driver doesn't appear to be too concerned and begins asking us oue destination in St. Petersburg. in Russian. A few pokes at our phrasebook and hand waving at our hostel address later, he seems satisfied and communicates to us that he will drop us off nearby our hostel.

In the meantime, Andrew is keeping a close eye on the immigration officer. Then, the officer hands Andrew our passports, breaks out in a grin (our first grin in Russia!) and says, in English, "Thank you!".

Our passports are stamped : 01.06.2007. 1st June 2007.

I attempt a weak "spasibas" (thank you) but I think no one heard it, not even my own ears. We wander past the X-ray machines, are summoned back and stuff our backpacks through, and reboard the bus.

Our first and most major immigration challenge is over and we're back on the road. I really thank God that weLve made it this far and I trust that He will continue to bring us through. I guess this incident makes me apprieciate my passport and my mobility more. It brought to mind the stories that I've read of refugees, immigrants, fugitives, exiles and others who have faced border difficulties. Sometimes, their lives and the lives of their families and friends depend on them getting through border controls. This experience will let me empathize with them just a little bit better.

The bus clock glows 0:48. I shall go to sleep now and hopefully when I awake, morning would have come and I will look on the land of Russia fully lit by the rising sun
-ky ends

No comments: